Friday, February 22, 2013

Healthy Breakfast Burrito

I have been trying to find some more filling breakfast foods.  For a while I was eating Greek yogurt for breakfast because it was available, but I was always starving by 10am.  Ben is a fan of breakfast burritos, but of course my dietitian conscience frowns up those.  So I decided to make healthy home-made breakfast burritos.

It's quite easy.  I chopped up veggies and sauted them.  Then I added eggs and egg whites.  After cooking that for a while, I added some seasonings, a bit of cheese, salsa, and black beans. I separated the mixture, and added ham to 1 mixture.  This way I had 2 meat and 2 vegetarian burritos.  I let the eggs cool, then portioned the mixture onto 4 separate whole wheat tortillas.  I folded them and wrapped them in plastic wrap.  To reheat I used the microwave for one and the oven (set to low broil) for the other.  Both turned out delicious and good texture.  The one in plastic wrap has a more moist tortilla, but it was not soggy.


Healthy Breakfast Burrito
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 3 slices canadian bacon
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup mexican cheese
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika

No comments:

Post a Comment