Friday, July 20, 2012

Southwest Salad Packable Lunch

Whenever I make salad for dinner, I always chop up a little extra of whatever veggies I am cutting and put it in my salad lunch box.  If there is extra meet, then I will throw that in a baggie and bring it to work with the salad.  This makes it super easy to make a healthy lunch for the office.

On this particular evening,  I did not have any meat to put on the salad.  But  I have eggs at all times; and I had also just bought an avocado. So I hardboiled an egg.  Below in the "What to do" is what I describe to be the perfect way to hard boil an egg.  It is important not to overcook the egg, otherwise you get that grey/green ring around the yolk.  It is also important not to add a cold egg to hot water, otherwise it is likely to crack open.


I also cut the avocado open in half lengthwise and took out the pit.  I stuck some slices of lime on top of one half to prevent browning.  Then I held them together with a rubber band.  This makes it easy to take to work and cut up some avocado without any hassle or brown spots.  I pack salsa and plain Greek yogurt in two individual small containers and put those in my salad lunch box.  It's super easy and really low in calories.   You could also add on some rinsed black beans for some added fiber and protein.

Packable Southwest Salad Lunch



What you'll need:
- 1.5 cups salad greens
- 3 tbsp chopped green peppers
- 2 tbsp sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 2 tbsp 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 hardboiled egg
- 1/2 an avocado, chopped
- 1/4 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 lime

What to do:
1. Take an egg out of the fridge 10 minutes prior to starting to allow it to come to room temperature.  Put a small pot of water on the the stove and set to medium high heat.  After the water is warm, about 2-3 minutes, add the egg gently.  Let it stay on a low boil for 10 minutes.  Remove egg and place in cold water.

2. Cut 2-3 thin slices from the lime and place on the avocado.  Wrap in rubber bands to keep together.  Keep the rest of the lime for the salad.

3.  In a sealable container, place the salad greens, green pepper, and red onion,  Sprinkle with juice from the lime. Put the salsa and greek yogurt in two separate small containers.  Put a paper towel around the egg and place in a plastic bag; separately bag the tomato.  Refrigerate overnight or during the morning and enjoy an easy low-calorie lunch. Recipe makes one serving.  I do recommend having some fruit with it for a full balanced meal.  

Nutrition Information
299 calories, 19g carbs, 9g fiber, 14g protein, 21g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 348mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment