Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pesto Balsamic Mozzarella Panini


This was one of those days when I wasn't sure what to make for lunch, but just happened to have a group of tasty complimentary ingredients.  I usually have pesto, onion, lettuce, bread, and sun-dried tomatoes.  This day I happen to have some fresh mozzarella to tie it all together.  I would normally use whole wheat bread, but I happen to have some pesto bread from the farmer's market so I used that.  I sprinkled a little bit of balsamic vinegar on the bread for an extra touch of deliciousness.  I used a panini maker to toast it, but you can also turn the oven on to broil and turn once after about 2 minutes, then broil 1-2 more minutes.

Pesto Balsamic Mozzarella Panini


What you'll need:
- 2 tbsp pesto  (see recipe below)
- 2 pieces whole wheat bread
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup spinach

Homemade Pesto
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 large parsley leaves (~1tsp)
- 8 fresh oregano leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each pepper and salt
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment