Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Dietitian's Snack Food

I have two snacks pretty much every day. One snack at 10 or 11am, then again around 3:30pm. It's like clockwork for me. I realize I am hungry, and I know what time is.

One of the easiest things to bring to work with me is fruit and nuts. I get 1/4 cups nuts such as almonds or walnuts then grab an apple or nectarine or 1/2 cups of grapes or berries. It's really easy for me to eat between seeing patients without making a mess or taking a long time to eat.

Today I am eating walnuts and blueberries. This is a good combination of buttery flavor from the nuts and sweet and tangy from the blueberries. You get some healthy fats, including omega 3s, from the nuts and some fiber from both the nuts and fruit. Also, these two foods are super high in antioxidants and certainly make it onto my Super Foods list.

So you want a healthy quick no-preparation-needed snack? Grab some fruit and a healthy 1oz portion if nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment