Sunday, August 5, 2012

Spicy Chipotle Hummus

Garbanzo beans conveniently come
in two sizes
I bought tahini (sesame seed paste) for another recipe (the sweet potato and bean veggie burger).  The tahini came in a huge container.  I know hummus uses tahini, so I figured this would be a good way to use some of it up.  I started with simple plain hummus.  I put some of that aside.  Then I added some chipotle pepper, agave nectar, more lemon juice, cumin, and paprika.  I still have a ton of tahini left, but I also have some delicious plain and spicy hummus.

Spicy Chipotle Hummus




What you'll need:
For plain hummus:
- 7.75oz can garbonzo beans
- 2 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil

For spicy hummus, add in:
- 2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce (or only one if you want it very mild)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cumin

What to do:
Combine everything in a food processor and blend until silky smooth

Dip pita chips in the hummus or use it as a spread for a sandwich.  I spread the spicy hummus over the inside of a pita, then tossed in some greens, added a few slices of avocado, red onion, and cherry tomatoes.  I also used it in a quesadilla to add in spiciness and flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment